Breathing is something we all do without thinking. If we are not breathing we are going to die.
Did you know breathing is a reflex action done by our body to provide the flow of oxygen around the body to the vital organs!
Wikipedia describes humans breathe as 12 and 20 times per minute, with children breathing faster than adults. (Babies may breathe as much as 40 times per minute. Adults normally breathe about 500-700ml of air at a time. An average 14 year old takes around 30,000 breaths per day).
Did you know you can control your breathing? YOU can be more relaxed by breathing in and out deeply. The more we allow our body to be filled by deep breathing, the less stress we place on our body and mind!
The more we practice our deep and controlled breathing, the more natural it becomes and we can call on it at any time of day to help us through those tired or stressed out days and moments in our life.
So many of us are faced with a lot of stressful situations and problems – either we feel stressed at work, or it’s been a long hard day and we can’t sleep; perhaps YOU just need (and want) a few minutes to your self — you will find a simple breathing exercise really beneficial.
Here are some steps to do breathing exercise:
- Lie down, sit down or stand up as long as you are comfortable. Breathe in slowly through your nose to the count of four. Breathe very deep until your whole body feels expanded.
- Hold your deep breath for four counts, and then exhale slowly through your mouth to a count of eight.
- Repeat the breathing in – so your tummy expands. Hold on to it and then exhale. Repeat nine more times.
- You can breathe deeper once you get used to the above steps by leave one hand on your stomach and place the other lightly across the chest. Breathe right down so your tummy expands.
- When it can’t go any further, breathe in some more and fill the tops of your lungs. YOUR inhale and exhale are the same length, eight counts each, without holding in between.
- When you exhale, let the old air out from your chest then from your tummy. Now you are going to be relaxed!